Design and build Web APIs for a broad range of clients—including browsers and mobile devices—that can adapt to change over time. This practical, hands-on guide takes you through the theory and tools you need to build evolvable HTTP services with Microsoft’s ASP.NET Web API framework. In the process, you’ll learn how design and implement a real-world Web API.
Ideal for experienced .NET developers, this book’s sections on basic Web API theory and design also apply to developers who work with other development stacks such as Java, Ruby, PHP, and Node.
- Dig into HTTP essentials, as well as API development concepts and styles
- Learn ASP.NET Web API fundamentals, including the lifecycle of a request as it travels through the framework
- Design the Issue Tracker API example, exploring topics such as hypermedia support with collection+json
- Use behavioral-driven development with ASP.NET Web API to implement and enhance the application
- Explore techniques for building clients that are resilient to change, and make it easy to consume hypermedia APIs
- Get a comprehensive reference on how ASP.NET Web API works under the hood, including security and testability