This book covers the essential exploratory techniques for summarizing data with R. These techniques are typically applied before formal modeling commences and can help inform the development of more complex statistical models. Exploratory techniques are also important for eliminating or sharpening potential hypotheses about the world that can be addressed by the data you have. We will cover in detail the plotting systems in R as well as some of the basic principles of constructing informative data graphics. We will also cover some of the common multivariate statistical techniques used to visualize high-dimensional data.
Some of the topics we cover are
- Making exploratory graphs
- Principles of analytic graphics
- Plotting systems and graphics devices in R
- The base and ggplot2 plotting systems in R
- Clustering methods
- Dimension reduction techniques