Create robust and spectacular 2D and 3D games from scratch using Swift – Apple's latest and easy-to-learn programming language.
About This Book
- Create engaging games from the ground up using SpriteKit and SceneKit
- Boost your game's visual performance using Metal - Apple’s new graphics library
- A step-by-step approach to exploring the world of game development using Swift
Who This Book Is For
This book is for novices as well as proficient game developers who want to learn more about game development using Swift. If you are from a 2D game development background and would like to learn the basics of 3D game development, this book is for you. Additionally, if you want to learn the basics of graphics programming and shaders, this book will be a good starting point.
What You Will Learn
- Learn Apple's latest programming language—Swift
- Acquaint yourself with the Xcode interface
- Create stunning games with SpriteKit and SceneKit
- Understand the basics of graphics programming
- Intensify your gameplay experience by learning how to add customized sound
- Develop highly interactive games using animation, sound, collision detection, particle systems, and shaders
- Package and publish games on the Apple App Store
Game development has been simplified with Apple's new programming language—Swift. It starts with the absolute basics such as the Xcode interface and takes you all the way to Swift programming.
You will take a walk through the creation of 2D and 3D games followed by an introduction to SpriteKit and SceneKit. The book also looks at how game objects are placed in 3D scenes, how to use the graphics pipeline, and how objects are displayed on mobile screens. You will also delve into essential game concepts such as collision detection, animation, particle systems, and scene transitions. Finally, you will learn how to publish and distribute games to the iTunes store.