DevOps is a practical field that focuses on delivering business value as efficiently as possible. DevOps encompasses all code workflows from testing environments to production environments. It stresses cooperation between different roles, and how they can work together more closely, as the roots of the word imply—Development and Operations.
Practical DevOps begins with a quick refresher on DevOps and continuous delivery and quickly moves on to show you how DevOps affects software architectures. You'll create a sample enterprise Java application that you’'ll continue to work with through the remaining chapters. Following this, you will explore various code storage and build server options. You will then learn how to test your code with a few tools and deploy your test successfully. In addition to this, you will also see how to monitor code for any anomalies and make sure that it runs as expected. Finally, you will discover how to handle logs and keep track of the issues that affect different processes.
By the end of the book, you will be familiar with all the tools needed to deploy, integrate, and deliver efficiently with DevOps.
What You Will Learn
- Understand how all deployment systems fit together to form a larger system
- Set up and familiarize yourself with all the tools you need to be efficient with DevOps
- Design an application suitable for continuous deployment systems with DevOps in mind
- Store and manage your code effectively using Git, Gerrit, Gitlab, and more
- Configure a job to build a sample CRUD application
- Test your code using automated regression testing with Jenkins Selenium
- Deploy your code using tools such as Puppet, Ansible, Palletops, Chef, and Vagrant