Your customers demand and deserve better security and privacy in their software. This book is the first to detail a rigorous, proven methodology that measurably minimizes security bugs—the Security Development Lifecycle (SDL). In this long-awaited book, security experts Michael Howard and Steve Lipner from the Microsoft Security Engineering Team guide you through each stage of the SDL—from education and design to testing and post-release. You get their first-hand insights, best practices, a practical history of the SDL, and lessons to help you implement the SDL in any development organization.
Discover how to:
- Use a streamlined risk-analysis process to find security design issues before code is committed
- Apply secure-coding best practices and a proven testing process
- Conduct a final security review before a product ships
- Arm customers with prescriptive guidance to configure and deploy your product more securely
- Establish a plan to respond to new security vulnerabilities
- Integrate security discipline into agile methods and processes, such as Extreme Programming and Scrum